More Sports In Brief

first_imgPrincipal runs marathon, raises money for computersPHILADELPHIA (AP):A Philadelphia elementary school has 240 new computers thanks to the fleet feet of its principal.Stephanie Andrewlevich ran the Philadelphia Marathon last month to raise awareness of Mitchell Elementary’s lack of technology for its 550 students and to raise money to pay for computers.The Philadelphia Inquirer reports that a month after the marathon, donors have responded by giving US$94,400.The money will buy computers for each classroom at the K-8 school, as well as 80 iPads, more support staff, and a room for children to go when they need to cool down.It was Andrewlevich’s third marathon. She says the cold and windy conditions made it a brutal run and she wanted to quit. But she says she kept seeing the students’ faces in her head and kept going.Allardyce denied victoryWATFORD, England (AP):Former England coach Sam Allardyce was denied victory in his first game back in club management, with his Crystal Palace team conceding a second-half penalty to draw 1-1 at Watford in the English Premier League yesterday.Troy Deeney scored from the spot in the 71st minute for his 100th goal for Watford, earning the hosts a point after their second-half rally at Vicarage Road.Allardyce took over at relegation-threatened Palace on Friday – three months after losing his England job – as a replacement for the fired Alan Pardew, and he was given the ideal start when Yohan Cabaye scored in the 26th minute.In what proved to be a game that hinged on two penalties, Palace wasted a chance to go 2-0 ahead in the 37th when Christian Benteke had a penalty saved by Heurelho Gomes after being fouled by the Watford goalkeeper.Deeney made no mistake when he got his chance from the spot after Sebastian Prodl was bundled over by his marker, Damien Delaney, at a corner.Former Texas Rangers pitcher diesLITTLE ROCK, Arkansas (AP):John Barfield, a left-hander from Arkansas who pitched three seasons for the Texas Rangers beginning in 1989, died in a shooting in Little Rock, police and family members said. He was 52.Police said Barfield was fatally shot on December 24 after an altercation with an acquaintance in downtown Little Rock. William Goodman, 59, of Pine Bluff is being held in the Pulaski County jail on preliminary charges of first-degree murder in connection with Barfield’s death, which has been classified as a homicide. Court records do not list an attorney for Goodman.last_img read more


first_imgDonegal Junior LeagueReports With three games falling to the weather, including two Downtown Cup Quarter Finals, it meant that Saturday saw only five matches played in the Donegal Junior League. With Orchard and Keadue Rovers Reserves pencilled in for Cup action both Glencar Celtic and Strand Rovers had opportunities to go clear at the top of their respective Divisions. In Division One Glencar travelled to Fintown and gained the points that now see them sit eight points above Orchard who do have a game in hand. It is tighter however in Division Two where Strand Rovers’ victory over Drumoghill F.C. Reserves saw them go three ahead of neighbours Keadue but the Central Park outfit have two matches in hand over their Maghery rivals. Ramelton Mariners kept in touch with the leading bunch with a 3-0 victory at the New Camp over Curragh Athletic Reserves. Elsewhere Erne Wanderers are the first side through to the semi-finals of the Cup having defeated Mulroy Celtic and St. Catherines progressed to the Quarter Final stage of the competition by defeating fellow South Donegal side Drumbar F.C.Old Orchard Saturday Division OneFintown Harps AFC 1 Glencar Celtic 5 Glencar Celtic made the trip to Fintown and returned to Letterkenny with three points in the bag. Marty Brogan got their first on 25 minutes, a goal that saw them in the lead at the break. Fintown responded early in the 2nd half and equalised when a shot, which took a deflection, deceived the Glencar Keeper. Cathal Gallagher put Glencar back into the lead before Seany Houston made it 3-1. Two more strikes from Cathal Gallagher put a gloss to the final scoreline at Pairc Achla. Glencar remain as pacesetter in Division One.Glencar Inn Saturday Division TwoStrand Rovers 1 Drumoghill F.C. Reserves 0Drumoghill decided to play against the strong wind in the first half but the way it was blowing it didn’t seem to favour anyone. Strand pushed hard and had numerous chances but the visitors seemed to be keeping them at bay until Darragh Hanlon stuck one away on 30 minutes. Good work from Doalty Boyle on the wing created chance after chance but the wind rather than aid Strand seemed to hinder them and it was 1-0 at the break. Drumoghill had the wind behind them in the second half but it was Strand that seemed to play the better football. Gerard Mc Shea broke from right back and skipped through the defence only to balloon the ball over the bar, another chance fell to Cathal Boyle and he skipped past the keeper but his shot was blown off the line by the wind. Best for Strand were Mark Boyle and Cathal Boyle with a good team performance from Drumoghill.Ramelton Mariners3 Curragh Athletic Reserves 0In a game that was switched to the Curragh Ramelton Mariners ran out 3-0 winners. The Ramelton men took the lead on 29 minutes when the evergreen Raymond Friel took the ball wide and cut back in before sending a real peach into the top corner. Curragh had a few chances to draw level but the woodwork and an inspired performance from the Ramelton keeper kept it at 1-0. With only four minutes to go until the interval Kevin Coyle slid the ball up the line for Corey Mc Cahill who rounded the keeper and taped in for 2-0. Curragh started strong in the second half but could not find the chance needed to get on the score sheet. Mariners made it 3-0 with 15 minutes to go when Mc Cahill turned provider for Packie Durning who nodded home from 6yards with his first headed goal in five years. The Mariners’ defence held strong under some late pressure. Joe Coyle and Kevin Mc Cahill were best for the Ramelton men. Team effort from a determined Curragh side.Downtown Cup St. Catherines Reserves1 Drumbar F.C. 0St. Catherine’s hosted Drumbar in the final group game of the Downtown Cup. Drumbar had the first real chance mid-way through the first half but their good play came to nothing. They then had a shot from the edge of the box which was saved by the St. Catherines’ keeper Brian Smith. Donal Mc Guire then had a shot saved by the Drumbar keeper. It remained scoreless at half time. Drumbar looked to break the deadlock after the interval and they had a couple of chances to score but they could not get passed the St. Catherines’ defence. Midway through the second half St. Catherines won a corner. Stephen Leslie took the corner and the ball went straight into the net to give them the lead. Drumbar upped the pressure on the Saints to try to get back on level terms but they just could not find the goal needed. St. Catherines held out for victory and progressed to the quarter finals of the Downtown Cup.Downtown Cup Quarter FinalsErne Wanderers 4 Mulroy Celtic 0 Erne Wanderers hosted Mulroy Celtic in this Downtown Cup Quarter Final in blustery conditions at the Lakeside. It turned out to be a bit of an anti-climax as Mulroy travelled very light with them only able to field 10 players as they had a host of players unavailable through one thing or another. The game was played mostly in Mulroy’s half and the hosts created numerous chances but found Shane Friel hard to pass. The first goal didn’t arrive until the 25th minute through Alan Russell just inside the box. The second came from Ryan O’ Brien from the edge of the box with a fierce drive that got a deflection on route. The second half was much the same. Erne got their third after a great through ball from Mulligan to Mark Dorrian and he clinically dispatched it past Friel. The fourth came with ten minutes remaining through left back Tom Hope when he broke the last line of defence and slipped the ball under the keeper. Team effort from Wanderers and also the visitors who battled well with an under-strength side. Referee: Andrew Mullin.ReportsBrian Mc Cormick Sports Premier DivisionDrumoghill F.C. 5 Rathmullan Celtic 0Drumoghill raced into a 3-0 half time lead in this game and never really look like letting Rathmullan back into the game. Drumoghill’s first came in the 20th minute when Richard Moore won possession and fed a lovely pass through to Liam O’ Donnell who then beat the defender to fire the ball into the top corner . O’ Donnell was again involved when he headed a Terence Shields’ cross down to Ethan Mc Cready and the young striker made no mistake sending the keeper the wrong way. Drumoghill’s third arrived on the stroke of half time when Moore played an inch perfect pass in behind the defence for O’ Donnell to run on to and round the keeper to slot home. Rathmullan to their credit started the second half the brighter and but from some swift defending from O’ Carroll and Sweeney they could have sneaked a way back into the game. Drumoghill added a fourth in the 65th minute when Ethan Mc Cready sent Moore through on goal to score from close range. Moore was again involved in Drumoghill’s fifth goal when his shot was saved by the Rathmullan’s keeper but Shay Mc Daid fired home the rebound. Best for Rathmullan were Ryan Mc Cullagh and Alan Boal with Ethan Mc Cready, Liam O’ Donnell and Richard Moore staring for Drumoghill. Referee: Joe Mc HughCappry Rovers 3 Lifford Celtic 1Cappry Rovers won the points in this entertaining game played in Cappry Park in blustery conditions. Lifford created the first opening in the early stages when a shot was saved by the Cappry keeper O’ Meara. Cappry came more into the game and created numerous chances through Brendan Mc Laughlin, Aaron Kelly and Brian Lafferty but they were foiled by the good goalkeeping of Paul Given. Cappry playing with the wind in the second half put the pressure on Lifford but good defending and keeping kept the game scoreless until the hour mark when Eunan Doherty won the ball and beat the advancing keeper to put the ball to the top corner of the net. Brendan Mc Laughlin then shot over the bar from close range, had another shot hit the post and shot wide from close range. Cappry got their second in the seventy fifth minute when Brian Lafferty shot to the bottom corner of the net past Paul Given in the Lifford goal. Lifford got a goal back in the eightieth minute, a free kick when Gary Mc Girr which went directly into the bottom corner of the net. Cappry restored their two goal advantage in the eighty seventh minute. Darren O’ Leary scored from the penalty spot to secure the points to keep Cappry in second place in the table. Best for Cappry were Brendan Mc Laughlin, Eunan Doherty and Paddy Long. James Connolly was best for Lifford. Referee: Paddy Duffy.Glenea United 1 Kildrum Tigers 0Despite playing against the elements in the 1st half it was the home side that started the brightest with Sean Coll and Kevin McFadden keeping Glenea going forward. Glenea created a number of chances with Michael Barry, Gavin Mc Glanaghey and Darren Mc Geever all coming close with efforts. Glenea took the lead on 35 minutes when Michael Barry released Ryan McFadden down the right and his cross picked out Barry again and he slotted the ball home from 10 yards. In the 2nd half Kildrum came more into the game and came close on 65 minutes when Reece Laird saw his effort from the edge of the box go just wide. Glenea had chances to extend their lead through Darren Mc Geever and David Ward but failed to do so.Best for Glenea were Kevin McFadden, Ryan McFadden and Declan Mc Garvey, while Johnny Mc Ginty and Reece Laird were best for Kildrum Tigers. Referee: Marty QuinnGweedore Celtic 1 Donegal Town 2Gweedore slumped to a home defeat against bottom of the table team Donegal Town. Donegal took the lead in the twelfth minute when Bustard scored from six yards, with the home team claiming off side. Gweedore were reduced to ten men at this stage when O’ Sullivan remonstrated with the referee. Despite these set-backs it was the home team who took the game to their opponents but they were hit by a second goal on the stroke of half time when Daniel Mc Hugh headed home. The second half was dominated by ten man Gweedore but they found it difficult to break down a Donegal defence well marshalled by veteran J.P. Byrne. Gweedore pulled one back with twelve minutes remaining when Paul Mc Bride scored from a Thomas Diver free. Jamie Boyle had a chance to level the match but his effort went narrowly wide. For Gweedore it was a team effort and for Donegal Byrne and young Daniel Mc Hugh were best. Referee: Con Mc Laughlin.Watson Hire Division OneCastlefin Celtic 2 Kilmacrennan Celtic 2Kilmacrennan were well on top in the first half, putting Castlefin under massive pressure, but they could not take advantage of their supremacy. Gary Gorman had Kilmacrennan’s best chance after four minutes but Castlefin keeper Anthony O’Hagan was quick of his line to make a great save. Castlefin’s only chance of the half fell to JP Malley who was denied by the Kilmac keeper after ten minutes. Kilmacrennan had another great chance but Christy Conaghan’s brilliant strike from the edge of the box minutes before half time forced Castlefin keeper O’Hagan into an excellent diving save. Castlefin came out brighter for the second half. Kilmacrennan broke the deadlock on 56 minutes when Christy Conaghan’s low strike went through a crowded Castlefin box and into the bottom of the net. Castlefin equalised from the penalty spot on 63 minutes. Kilmacrennan went down to 10 men after the handball in the box and Emmet White stepped up to finish into the top corner. Kilmacrennan were awarded a penalty five minutes later for a foul in the box. Gary Gorman stepped up to give Kilmac the lead once again. Christy Conaghan had a good chance to double Kilmac’s lead on 88 minutes but Dominic Mc Glinchey who stepped in for O’Hagan after an injury, made a great stop.Deep in injury time Emmet White’s free kick found Barry Tourish in the box, Tourish made no mistake finishing into the roof of the net to grab Castlefin a late point. Referee: Mick Lagan. Best for Castlefin: Anthony O’Hagan. Best for Kilmacrennan: Team Performance.Dunkineely Celtic 2 Curragh Athletic 1Dunkineely gained three valuable points in their fight against relegation in this encounter against Curragh at Darney Park. Dunkineely started well and dominated the first quarter. A combination of poor finishing and good goalkeeping by Shane O’Brien kept the scoreline blank. Curragh came more into the game in the second quarter with Neil Lloyd dictating things in midfield. They created some good chances but again found the home keeper John Mc Mullin in fine form. Curragh started the second half brightly and took the lead on 50 minutes when Gary Heaney was put clear and he finished well from 12 yards. This seemed to spark the home team into life and Daniel Gallagher made a great break from midfield but his effort was well saved by O’Brien. Dunkineely equalised on 60 minutes when Cathal Lowther scored on the rebound after his first effort was saved. They continued to press and got the winner on 75 minutes when Adrian Nesbitt controlled a pass and finished well from inside the box. Dunkineely held out to record a valuable victory. Best for Dunkineely were Daniel Gallagher and Shane Mc Whinnie while Neil Lloyd and keeper Shane O’Brien were best for Curragh. Referee: Ed MooreKeadue Rovers 2 Lagan Harps 1Keadue Rovers kept up their promotion chase winning this vital clash against Lagan Harps at Central Park. In the first half Lagan Harps were quick to settle, moving the ball around and creating a good number of half chances with lots of possession. Lagan had a great chance on twenty five minutes which they failed to capitalise on. Lagan though didn’t have long to wait for the opener when good work in midfield released Kenny Doran and he made no mistake with a side-footed effort from ten yards. Keadue were sparked into life after this however they were lucky to be only one down at the interval. Into the second half and again Lagan were better starters and forced a number of corners early on. Keadue started to get a bit more possession around midfield and created a few good openings. They were level on sixty three minutes when Damien Hanlon’s free kick was struck low to the far post and Sean Yank Boyle nipped in to score. Adam Neely then went close for Keadue. The game was opening up now and Lagan went close on sixty five minutes with a long range effort which was saved by Ciaran Sharkey. Keadue had a great chance to take the lead on eighty one minutes when first Donal Rodgers and then Sean Yank Boyle had chances but the Lagan keeper made a great double save. Keadue took the lead on eighty eight minutes when a free kick into the box was met by Damien Hanlon whose effort went low to the net past the defenders on the line. Keadue then held out for the last few minutes of play despite Lagan piling forward. Best for Lagan were Chris Toner, Declan Sweeney and Killian Grant while best for Keadue were Sean Yank Boyle, Adam Neely and Damien Hanlon. Referee: Kevin Logue.Whitestrand United 2 Kerrykeel ’71 F.C. 1On a cool brisk day at Mc Garvey Park there was a local derby on offer as Whitestrand United took on Kerrykeel ‘71. Both teams were desperate for points and there was always going to be pressure in the game. The first goal came on 32 minutes when Kevin Mc Carry converted a looping header from a Sean Paul Gallagher cross. This was the breakthrough the game needed and Whitestrand went in 1-0 to the good. The second half was tight with not many chances and Kerrykeel perhaps had the better of the game. Whitestrand got their second when good play between Eddie Blake and Matt McNulty led to Mc Nulty scoring the second. Kerrykeel pushed and got what proved to be a consolation goal when Gary Mc Gonagle converted amid a goalmouth scramble. Best for the Strand were Brendan Callaghan, Ethan Burkitt and Matthew McNulty. Good team performance from Kerrykeel.CT Ball Division TwoBallybofey United 2 Convoy Arsenal 4Ballybofey United could not put a dent in Convoy Arsenal’s drive for CT Ball Division Two honours at the Finn Valley Complex on Sunday afternoon. Despite taking an early lead through Damien Glackin Ballybofey missed numerous first half opportunities and went in trailing by 2-1 at the break. It got worse for the hosts when they fell 3-1 behind but Glackin again gave them hope as he reduced the deficit to the minimum in the second half. Convoy weren’t to be foiled however and they got a fourth to secure the points. Jonny Robb and Lee Guthrie were the Arsenal targetmen on the day.Deele Harps 0 Eany Celtic 2Deele’s playoff hopes all but ended as an under strength home side couldn’t convert their chances. Deele dominated possession in the opening half but were struck with a sucker punch on 40 minutes when Paul Mc Groarty tapped home a rebound in the box. The second half was more evenly contested with Deele again unable to find the net due to wasteful finishing and fine goalkeeping from young Gavin Mulreany in the Eany goal. In the 70th minute Deele had the opportunity from the penalty spot but young Mulreany saved well. As Deele pushed for an equaliser it was Eany who broke away and the game was sealed on 85 minutes when Tyrone O’ Shea tapped in despite strong claims for offside which fell on deaf ears. Two decent team performances.ResultsOld Orchard Saturday Division OneArranmore United P v P Donegal Town ReservesFintown Harps AFC 1 v 5 Glencar CelticGlencar Inn Saturday Division TwoStrand Rovers 1 v 0 Drumoghill F.C. ReservesRamelton Mariners 3 v 0 Curragh Athletic ReservesDowntown CupSt. Catherines Reserves 1 v 0 Drumbar F.C.Downtown Cup Quarter FinalsKeadue Rovers Reserves P v P Castlefin Celtic ReservesOrchard F.C. P v P Glenea United ReservesErne Wanderers 4 v 0 Mulroy CelticBrian Mc Cormick Sports Premier DivisionDrumoghill F.C. 5 v 0 Rathmullan CelticCappry Rovers 3 v 1 Lifford CelticGlenea United 1 v 0 Kildrum TigersGweedore Celtic 1 v 2 Donegal TownWatson Hire Division OneCastlefin Celtic 2 v 2 Kilmacrennan CelticDunkineely Celtic 2 v 1 Curragh AthleticKeadue Rovers 2 v 1 Lagan HarpsWhitestrand United 2 v 1 Kerrykeel ’71 F.C.CT Ball Division TwoBallybofey United 2 v 4 Convoy ArsenalDeele Harps 0 v 2 Eany CelticTop Goal-Scorers06/03/2015Brian Mc Cormick Sports Premier DivisionKyle Black Cranford United 14Richie Moore Drumoghill F.C. 11Jason Noctor St. Catherines 10Watson Hire Division OneJP Malley Castlefin Celtic 13Ronan Tourish Castlefin Celtic 10Kenny Doran Lagan Harps 9Chris Toner Lagan Harps 9CT Ball Division TwoShane Gallagher Deele Harps 11Jonny Robb Convoy Arsenal` 9Ryan Carlin Convoy Arsenal 8Aidan Mc Laughlin Bonagee United 8Old Orchard Saturday Division OneNiall Bonner Orchard F.C. 11Stephen Browne Glencar Celtic 9Shaun Mc Laughlin Orchard F.C. 8Darragh Gallagher Fintown Harps AFC 8Glencar Inn Saturday Division TwoMichael Sweeney Mulroy Celtic 12Ricky Fisher Ramelton Mariners 9Adam Neely Keadue Rovers 7Ciaran Blaney Milford United 7Daniel Mc Nulty Tullyvinney Rovers 7FixturesSaturday 14-03-2015 K.O. 2p.m. (Unless Stated)Old Orchard Saturday Division OneGlenea United Reserves v Arranmore United (1 p.m.)Donegal Town Reserves v Fintown Harps AFCSt. Catherines Reserves v Orchard F.C.Glenree United Reserves v Erne WanderersCastlefin Celtic Reserves v Glencar CelticGlencar Inn Saturday Division TwoKeadue Rovers Reserves v Milford United ReservesCurragh Athletic Reserves v Cranford United ReservesDrumbar F.C. v Ramelton MarinersDrumoghill F.C. Reserves v Tullyvinney RoversSunday 15-03-2015 K.O. 2 p.m. (Unless Stated)Brian Mc Cormick Sports Premier DivisionRathmullan Celtic v Cappry RoversLifford Celtic v Cranford UnitedMilford United v Glenea UnitedSt. Catherines v Gweedore CelticDonegal Town v Drumoghill F.C.Watson Hire Division OneCopany Rovers v Kilmacrennan CelticGweedore United v Castlefin CelticWhitestrand United v Curragh AthleticCT Ball Division TwoRaphoe Town v Ballybofey UnitedDunlewey Celtic v Deele HarpsDONEGAL LEAGUE: ALL THE REPORTS, RESULTS AND FIXTURES was last modified: March 8th, 2015 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:Donegal Leaguelast_img