Berbice businessman arrested, owed Chinese national $4M – sources

first_imgFailed execution attemptAs investigators dig deeper into the failed execution of a Chinese businessman in Berbice, a source close to the probe has revealed that the police are looking at a possible credit arrangement as the motive behind the attack.This publication understands the Chinese businessman had credited some $4 million in materials to a Corriverton businessman. However, the Chinese businessman allegedly did not receive it which reportedly led to a dispute. The Corriverton businessman has since been taken into Police custody.On Monday, Police in B Division (Berbice) confirmed that they have arrested a third person in connection with the failed execution attempt on a Chinese businessman at Skeldon, Berbice, last week.Guyana Times understands that he is also from Corriverton. According to Police sources, the two others — who were arrested at separate roadblocks in Berbice — have confessed to having been paid to murder the businessman.One day after their arrest, both men confessed to collecting $1 million each from a city businessman to torture and kill the Chinese national. According to the men, the money was dropped off by a taxi driver.According to reports, on Thursday last, the two bandits drove up in a heavily tinted Toyota Premio motorcar and entered the window-making factory. Guyana Times was told that the men walked up to the businessman and hit him to the face with a hammer.According to reports, the men were seen rushing out of the building and hurriedly entering the waiting car before it sped away. The businessman was rushed to the Skeldon Hospital where he was admitted a patient.Meanwhile, based on the description and number plate given to Police by persons in the area, a car was intercepted at a roadblock on the Corentyne. According to Police, only the driver was in the vehicle and his address was given as Lodge, Georgetown. The police noted that the driver could not give a reasonable explanation for his being in Berbice. He was taken into custody.However, at Number 50 Village, Police arrested another man who could not give a reasonable explanation for being in Berbice. He is from Werk-en-Rust, Georgetown.Investigations are still ongoing.last_img read more

‘Newlywed Bandits’ nabbed

first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREStriving toward a more perfect me: Doug McIntyre Rocha is a student at Rio Hondo Community College in Whittier and Meyercamp is on parole, Eimiller said. For more news and observations about crime in Los Angeles and the San Fernando Valley, check out the Daily News’ crime blog by clicking here. The so-called Newlywed Bandits, believed to be responsible for five Los Angeles-area bank robberies in a three-week span, were in custody today in Las Vegas, an FBI spokeswoman said. Rayceana Racheal Rocha, 22, and Paul Harlen Meyercamp, Jr., 26, allegedly robbed a pedestrian and carjacked a vehicle in Las Vegas yesterday, then led police on a pursuit, Laura Eimiller of the FBI said. Rocha, who was driving, crashed the vehicle and was taken into custody. Meyercamp was caught following a brief foot pursuit, Eimiller said. The two are being held in Las Vegas, she said. Between Oct. 18 and Nov. 8, they allegedly robbed a Wells Fargo branch in La Habra, East West Bank branches in El Monte and Diamond Bar, a Bank of America in Duarte and a Downey Savings in Claremont, she said. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more