STETHS blank Bridgeport

first_imgWESTERN BUREAU:Omar Wedderburn said he told his St Elizabeth Technical players to have fun and enjoy last evening’s FLOW Super Cup quarter-final match against Bridgeport High, and they did just that.They completed a deserved 2-0 victory to seal their spot in the semi-finals of the competition.Alex Thompson first fired STETHS into the lead after 18 minutes, and then Demar James completed the scoring with a calm finish in the 78th.Bridgeport did, however, have a chance to cut into STETHS’ lead, but watched as goalkeeper Kenroy Wallace saved brilliantly from a Shakeen Powell penalty kick in the 80th minute.ENJOY THE GAME”I just told them to enjoy the game; it was a quarter-final matchup and we knew that once we enjoyed ourselves, it would be hard to deny us the win,” said a confident Wedderburn.But while STETHS had the lion’s share of ball possession, Bridgeport did have a few good looks at goal, most notably in the 20th minute when Dante Green beat the offside trap. His shot, however, went high over the crossbar to end the first half.STETHS dominated the second half. James struck the upright with a powerful shot on the 60th minute as the rural area kingpins looked to increase their lead.His strike partner, Javoney Brown, also produced a thunderous effort off the dribble 35 yards out, but could only pick out the crossbar.”As seen here tonight, we played like a STETHS team on a mission. On another day, perhaps, we would have scored more, but it is good enough to get us into the semis,” Wedderburn said.Bridgeport’s head coach Garnet Lawrence said his team played well although failing to score.”We played good football tonight. We showed that we are a good team, but sometimes good teams lose,” said Lawrence.last_img read more

Suu Kyi hopes for deal with Bangladesh on Rohingya refugees

first_imgMyanmar State Counselor Aung San Suu Kyi speaks during a news conference at the Asia Europe Foreign Ministers (ASEM) in Naypyitaw. ReutersMyanmar’s de facto leader Aung San Suu Kyi said on Tuesday she hopes talks with Bangladesh this week will result in a memorandum of understanding on the “safe return” of Rohingya Muslims who fled to Bangladesh in the past three months.A military clearance operation launched in Myanmar’s Rakhine State has driven more than 600,000 Rohingya out of the Buddhist-majority country since late August.Suu Kyi spoke to reporters at the end of a meeting of senior officials at an Asia-Europe Meeting, or ASEM, in Myanmar’s capital Naypyitaw, where the crisis in Rakhine was discussed on the sidelines of official talks.last_img

KMC to take up special steps to collect house tax dues in

first_imgKolkata: Come 2019 the Kolkata Municipal Corporation (KMC) will take special measures to collect house tax arrears, the total amount of which has reached an astronomical figure of around Rs 4,000 crore. Deputy Mayor Atin Ghosh, who is in charge of the Assessment department, has proposed to launch a massive movement to collect the property tax dues. He called for involving the councillors who will go to the defaulters and urge them to pay the dues. Also Read – Rain batters Kolkata, cripples normal lifeKMC can waive 50% of the interest accrued on the principal amount. Ghosh will lead the teams that will visit the houses of errant house owners. Earlier, KMC had put up notices and conducted drives against the defaulters but they failed to yield desired results. Collection of house tax arrears has become a major problem for KMC. There are habitual defaulters and thousands of cases are lying pending before the Municipal Assessment Tribunal. The house owners not satisfied with the property tax fixed by the civic authorities move to the tribunal and many cases that had been filed nearly a decade ago have not been disposed of yet. Also Read – Speeding Jaguar crashes into Mercedes car in Kolkata, 2 pedestrians killedAlso, there are houses where it is difficult to trace the original owners. The tenants do not pay the rent and many of them are encroachers. The civic authorities have sent several notices to the house owners who have neither turned up nor sent their representatives. KMC has proposed to take over these buildings and is taking opinions of legal experts, but this may give rise to several complications. Earlier, when Subrata Mukherjee was the Mayor (2000-2005) and in the first phase of Sovan Chatterjee as Mayor (2010-15), the state government had introduced the waiver scheme. But the tax arrears collected by KMC was not highly satisfactory.last_img read more

Im not shopping there again Angry motorist Helen boycotts this MS store

first_imgDriver named following fatal collision Helen Lanceley was fined for parking too long at the M&S food store in Stone. Stone Town Council has previously called for the M&S parking charge to be scrapped. The Westbridge Park store – which opened last summer – currently charges £1 for 90-minutes parking. The parking charge is refunded to customers who spend more than £5 in the store and ‘collect by car’ shoppers enjoy 15 minutes free parking. Read MoreThese are the rules for parking in parent and child bays at a shopping centre   Helen said: “I had been to the shop a number of times before and when we got there, there was no sign up to say there was a limited stay or that we needed to pay. One of the parking signs outside Stone’s M&S Foodhall “We parked in a disabled bay at the front of the shop and put the blue badge on display. “My dad even asked one of the shop workers whether there was a charge because the machine had been covered up. She told him not to worry because there was no charge.” Helen, who lives in Market Drayton, received the parking fine on February 6 after going over the ‘maximum period allowed’. It demanded £85 within 28 days.   Get the biggest Daily stories by emailSubscribeSee our privacy noticeThank you for subscribingSee our privacy noticeCould not subscribe, try again laterInvalid EmailMotorist Helen Lanceley has vowed to never return to an M&S store – after landing an £85 parking charge. The 56-year-old was stunned to receive the parking penalty through the post after cameras caught her staying too long at Stone’s M&S Foodhall. She had parked in a disabled bay and displayed her parents’ blue badge before taking her 80-year-old dad, who has Parkinson’s, and her 79-year-old mum, who has arthritis, for their weekly shop and a bite to eat in the cafe.  Helen says they checked that there was no time limit or parking charge in place when she visited the store on January 30 – and says 90-minutes is not long enough for disabled customers to do their shopping. Now Helen has managed to overturn the penalty after complaining to M&S and Euro Car Parks. M&S Foodhall, Stone The popular M&S Foodhall features an outdoor cafe with views of the canal, a bakery and a collection point for online shoppers. StokeonTrentLive has not been able to contact Euro Car Parks for a statement regarding Helen’s parking penalty. Read MoreTop stories on StokeonTrentLive Punter found hiding in bushes center_img She added: “When I got the letter, I rang M&S which seemed totally disinterested. My daughter went online and tried to speak to Euro Car Parks through its live chat and that got us nowhere. “I then wrote to them and they told me that because I had been given the wrong information about the parking charges they decided to cancel the fine. But there was no apology and I can’t be the only one this has happened to. Read More’We’ve had eggs thrown, wing-mirrors smashed and our tyres burst…’ – Speed camera operators issued with CCTV body-cams after angry motorists target their vans on Stoke-on-Trent’s roads   “I don’t have to pay the fine anymore – but I won’t be shopping at that M&S again. I’m not being difficult, we just simply can’t use it because 90-minutes is not long enough. “It’s a shame because Stone M&S is all on the flat, which made it so much easier, and we just can’t use it.” Police search for missing woman Want to tell us about something going on where you live? Let us know – Tweet us  @SOTLive  or message us on our Facebook page. And if you have pictures to share, tag us on Instagram at  StokeonTrentLive. Dad slams ‘disgusting’ hospital windowlast_img read more