Hotel Rui Reggae Tragedy struck at the Hotel RIU Reggae in Montego Bay, Jamaica when an explosion killed one worker and injured four others on Thursday afternoon.The dead employee has been identified as Maintenance Manager, Seduro McIntoshThe police report that the five members of the hotel’s maintenance team, were working in a boiler room close to the kitchen when an explosion occurred.They were taken to hospital where one was pronounced dead and the others admitted, two of whom are said to be in critical condition.Tourism Minister Edmund Bartlett, was saddened by the incident and expressed his condolences to the family of the deceased while hoping for the speedy recovery of the injured persons.“I am deeply saddened about the unfortunate accident that occurred at the Hotel RIU Reggae, which resulted in several injuries and the loss of a life. I offer my sincere condolences to the staff of the hotel as they cope with the aftermath of this tragic incident. I also offer my support to the families and friends of the other injured staff members who are all receiving treatment in the hospital,” said Bartlett.The adults-only property officially opened in November of last year with some US$60 million invested in the construction of the hotel by the proprietors of the chain.
Jamaican Police Commissioner George Quallo has issued a warning to members of the Jamaica Constabulary Force that they will now face disciplinary action for the negligent discharge of their firearms, that results in injury.Quallo, writing in the latest Force Orders, released on Friday October 12, expressed grave concern about the rise in negligent discharging of firearms by members of the Jamaica Police Force.In that regard, he released statistics which showed that, since January 1, 2014 there have been 26 instances where police personnel negligently discharged their firearms. These resulted in 28 instances of injury.Fifteen of the injuries were self-inflicted while 13 persons in the vicinity of the negligent discharge were shot and injured, some seriously.Quallo added that he was alarmed that, in 18 of the cases, the firearms were discharged on the compound of police stations, posing a danger to other officers and members of the public.He warned that police personnel who fail to follow the relevant JCF guidelines and policy related to the handling of guns and ammunition will face strong action from the law enforcement organization.
KINGSTON, Jamaica – The Bank of Jamaica (BoJ) says it has sold US$50 million to authorized dealers and cambios in a “flash sale auction” over the past two weeks aimed at offsetting the effects of excessive daily volatility in the foreign exchange market in recent weeks.No shortageThe BoJ said the sale was made through its Foreign Exchange Intervention and Trading Tool (B‐FXITT) and that gross foreign exchange earnings flowing into the economy have remained buoyant and as such, “on the macro level, there is no shortage of foreign exchange.“There is information, however, that several firms are seeking to borrow funds in foreign exchange from the local capital market and this, combined with normal commercial demand, has led to increased demand and recent price movements in response. “The BoJ, the island’s central bank, said these temporary gaps between demand and supply are normal in a market and with more than adequate foreign exchange reserves and that it is ready to address these gaps when required.“It must be noted that efficient intervention and oversight of the market rely on the information the Bank receives from foreign exchange dealers, who in turn depend on the information they receive from their clients.”Improvement needed in flow of informationThe BoJ said that while this flow of information has been improving, a lot more improvement is still needed.“More foreign exchange users need to give their dealers advance notice of their intention to buy or sell foreign exchange. This will enable both dealers and the central bank to have a more complete picture of evolving market needs and be in a position to act on this information.“In addition, businesses are being strongly encouraged to use forward contracts with their dealers to manage their foreign exchange transactions.”The BoJ said that fluctuations in the rate can be inconvenient, but it is those very fluctuations which create the opportunity for using forward contracts to manage foreign exchange transactions more efficiently and to plan more long term.“Temporary supply and demand conditions aside, we must be reminded that as of 2017, contrary to what we have been accustomed to, we have a new foreign exchange market which behaves differently.“It is no longer a market in which the exchange rate drifts in one direction only, and as long as prevailing economic conditions remain as positive as they are, it is normal and to be expected that the exchange rate will keep fluctuating in both directions.,” the Boj added.
Young said the government is not trying to disenfranchise anyone who are overseas and want to return to the country to vote on the elections. Oppositions parties have been calling on Prime Minister Dr. Keith Rowley to indicate whether or nor the borders would remain closed ahead of the August 10 general elections. He said that what is scary is that the daily number of new cases, “the average number of new cases per day is seeing no downward trend. But speaking at the weekly Ministry of Health virtual news conference to update the population on the virus that has killed eight persons and infected 131 others, both Health Minister Terrence Deyalsingh and National Security Minister Stuart Young said that the closure of the borders had nothing to do with any pending elections. So far this year, Anguilla, St. Kitts-Nevis, Guyana and Suriname have held elections during the COVID-19 pandemic with none of them re-opening their borders to allow in nationals wanting to participate in the process. “As a matter of fact you are seeing the opposite,” he added. Deyalsingh told reporters that until the world gets a handle on the spread of the virus, it is not prudent for Trinidad and Tobago to reopen the borders. There are 543,000 deaths and 11.4 million people infected with the virus worldwide, since the first case was detected in China last December. “We are a small country with limited resources and yes we have done well So there is no way I can tell you when the borders are going to be opened, but what we can say is that until the world, until the globe gets a handle on getting decreasing rates of infection that discussion is going to be premature,” Deyalsingh said. “This is not about the disenfranchisement of anyone, If it is left up to us we would like everyone to be back here in Trinidad and Tobago. This is simply about the protection of the population who are here in Trinidad and Tobago from a global pandemic that is raging,” Young said. Opposition Leader Kamla Persad Bisessar has already warned that her United National Congress (UNC) had lawyers standing by to challenge the closure of the borders during the election. “All of these decisions with the management of COVID are based on expert advice from our public health officials. Right now our public health officials are very very clear and I support them personally because it makes a lot of sense to me that the borders have to remain close,” Young said. PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad – The Trinidad and Tobago government says it has no plans to rush towards reopening the borders of the country closed since March in a bid to prevent the spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19). He told reporters an examination of the situation in the United States shows ona daily basis the pandemic has been taking a heavy toll on the population there, adding it is one of our closest allies, it is one of the countries we are closest too, it is frightening CMC
Andy Murray remained on course for his third Wimbledon title as he defeated Frenchman, Benoit Paire 7-6 (7-1) 6-4 6-4 on Centre Court. The Brit will now face Sam Querrey in the quarter-finals.Some Murray magic on #ManicMonday…#Wimbledon pic.twitter.com/zAaX9ITYwG— Wimbledon (@Wimbledon) July 10, 2017Elsewhere, Roger Federer dispatched 13th seed Grigor Dimitrov in straight sets 6-4 6-2 6-4 in 1hr and 37 minutes to reach his 15th Wimbledon quarter-finals and the 50th of his Grand Slam career.Bringing up the [email protected] beats Grigor Dimitrov 6-4, 6-2, 6-4 to reach a record 50th Grand Slam quarter-final#Wimbledon pic.twitter.com/zCL0Qej0PR— Wimbledon (@Wimbledon) July 10, 2017Novak Djokovic’s match game was postponed as a result of the over 4hrs game between Nadal and Muller. The Serbian will now play unseeded Frenchman Adrian Mannarino on Tuesday.Wimbledon 2017 – Men’s Quarter-FinalsTop halfAndy Murray vs Sam QuerreyGilles Muller vs Marin CilicBottom halfMilos Raonic vs Roger FedererTomas Berdych vs Adrian Mannarino/Novak DjokovicRelatedWimbledon Roundup: Murray Crashes Out, Djokovic Retires As Federer Marches OnJuly 13, 2017In “Sports”Rogers Cup: Rafael Nadal Knocked Out, Roger Federer Marches OnAugust 11, 2017In “Sports”SW19 Day 7 Recap (Men’s Singles): Top Stars Federer, Nadal And Djokovic Untroubled In Respective Fourth Round ClashesJuly 10, 2018In “Sports” Rafael Nadal of Spain walks after losing the singles match against Dustin Brown of Germany, at the All England Lawn Tennis Championships in Wimbledon, London, Thursday July 2, 2015. (AP Photo/Pavel Golovkin)15-time major champion and 2nd seed, Rafael Nadal, failed to reach the quarter-finals as he crashes out to an epic 5-set defeat by 16th seed Gilles Muller.The Spaniard’s fight back from two set down wasn’t enough to stop Luxembourg’s Gilles Muller, who took the final set to win 6-3 6-4 3-6 4-6 15-13 in 4hrs and 48 minutes, in what is now the longest match of the tournament so far.Nadal became the first casualty of the “big four”, joins Stan Wawrinka, Jo-Wilfried Tsonga and Kei Nishikori in dropping out of the round of 16.
Former WBA, IBF, and WBO world heavyweight champion, Wladimir Klitschko, has announced his retirement from boxing.The 41-year-old retirement ends rematch talks with British boxer, Anthony Joshua, who knocked out the Ukrainian in the 11th round at Wembley in April.In his retirement video posted on his official website before it crashed, Klitschko said: “I have achieved everything I dreamed of, and now I want to start my second career after sports,”“I would have never imagined that I would have such a long and incredibly successful boxing career,”In his 21 years illustrious career, Wladimir Klitschko fought in 69 bouts, losing just 5 matches, with 64 wins and 53 Knockouts.The statement continues: “Twenty-seven years ago I started my journey in sport. It was the best choice of a profession I could have made. Because of this choice, I have traveled the world, learned new languages, created business, built intellectual properties, helped people in need.“At some point in our lives we need to switch our careers and get ourselves ready for the next chapter – obviously I am not an exception to this.“I am expecting and hoping my next career, which I have already been planning and working on for some years, will be at least as successful as the previous one, if not more successful.”Klitschko, who also won an Olympic gold medal in Atlanta 1996 before turning professional, went 11 year’s unbeaten en route winning WBA, IBF and WBO world heavyweight titles.RelatedWBA Orders Anthony Joshua To Fight Luis Ortiz Following Klitschko’s RetirementAugust 4, 2017In “Sports”Povetkin Bout Ushers In A New Chapter In My Career – Anthony JoshuaJuly 18, 2018In “Boxing”Swansea City vs Manchester UnitedJune 30, 2017Similar post
Related Articles Premier League looks to broadcast every behind-closed-door fixture August 28, 2020 Spotlight ups matchday commentary reach and capacity for new EPL Season August 21, 2020 Submit Premier League bosses are targeting illegal streaming of syndicated football matches, with a view of further protecting the sport’s multi-million broadcast rights and media partners content.The Premier League is working with the UK Federation Against Copyright Theft (FACT), focusing on crackdowns to illegal sports stream enablers.UK news sources report that Premier League officials and FACT have pinpointed at ‘modified’ Kodi set top boxes as a notable concern for illegal sports streams. Installing add-on software to the Kodi devices, viewers have been able to bypass subscription services for live sports breaking UK copyright laws.This week UK police arrested five men in the North West of England in connection with selling ‘modified’ Kodi boxes which had pre-installed sports streaming bypass software.The sale of Kodi boxes in the UK is legal with the box manufacturer warning all viewers that any streamed content should be legal. However, FACT officials want the sale of Kodi boxes to be outlawed.Kieron Sharp, Director General of Fact, said: “These arrests should send out a clear warning to anyone involved in the sale and distribution of illegal set-top boxes”.“Set-top boxes loaded with apps and add-ons allowing access to copyright infringing material are very much illegal and anyone involved in selling these boxes should not be surprised to receive a knock on the door.” Share Successful summer leaves Leadstar positive over industry’s recovery August 18, 2020 Share StumbleUpon
Share StumbleUpon Related Articles Share SBC Webinars and Digitain present Finding Value in Untapped Markets July 14, 2020 Submit VSoftCo Sales Director Simon Westbury has outlined the company’s innovative new plans to appeal to both sports and casino players.Speaking at the iGaming Super Show, Westbury revealed plans for VSoftCo’s Spot the Ball, a virtual betting product which encompasses the well known concept of Spot the Ball with a combination of roulette and virtual football.The product has been designed to cross-sell virtual sports into the casino by bringing “an entertainment value to the bet,” rather than just looking at a roulette table and pressing spin. Giving a brief overview of the product and its format, he said: “It will sit on the casino tab. There is different interactions for different touch points, as we know mobiles will shorten the bet.“The PC and tablets will be operated differently, because on a PC you’re clicking and on a tablet we’re talking about hovering over a bet, with different sounds and different feels, while the machines will be a two screen option.”Westbury also explained the challenges that VSoftCo will need to overcome as it integrates a virtual sports product into the casino.“The second most bet on live sport is tennis, but it doesn’t work in a virtual market,” he added. “They’re not offering the betting markets over five sets, rather taking a five set game and putting it into one game, so the idea of this product is to cross sell virtual sports in a soft way from the sports into a casino to appeal to both sports and casino players.”Mapping out the longer term goals of VSoftCo, which currently operates in UK, Europe, South America and Asia, Westbury said: “VSoftCo’s vision is to move online; there is a heavy leaning towards retail at the moment, as 70% of our revenues come from the retail environment. “Moving forward, we believe there is a niche for football themed content outside of virtual themed football, so this is the first product that we’ll be doing – we’ve got five year plan that we’ve put together and we imagine that online it’ll flip 70/30 to online revenues back from retail.“We can do innovative stuff around making the game look more real with the link we’ve got to Sheffield United. We can also include this side-bet market, while demographically the product is age neutral, it’s appealing to wherever football appeals.” Marketing responsibly and using AI to unlock esports’ potential April 21, 2020 SBC Digital Summit: A crash course in adaptability and resilience April 27, 2020
Share Related Articles Arcangelo Lonoce has been confirmed as the new Head of Business Development in Europe, for slots developer and provider Habanero.Toni Karapetrov, Head of Corporate Communications at Habanero, has stated that his appointment will help with the provider’s planned move into Western Europe during 2018, adding: “Arcangelo’s excellent track record in the gaming industry speaks for itself, and we are delighted to welcome him to Habanero.“His experience and know-how will prove invaluable as we expand our operations. We have signed a number of deals that have boosted our presence in Eastern Europe and moving further west is the natural next step.”Lonoce will bring over 15 years experience within product and player management to the role, with the last five years having been spent heading up BetVictor’s B2B Casino Product division.Arcangelo Lonoce commented: “I am delighted to have joined one of the industry’s fastest growing providers, and am looking forward to helping them with their commercial development.“There is a really positive momentum around the company, and I am excited at the prospect of being a key factor in its future growth and success as it looks to move into new markets.”Habanero recently announced a deal to supply their portfolio of titles to CIS (Commonwealth of Independent States) brand Vulkanvegas.com, following recent Eastern European expansion partnerships with Boss Gaming, 1Xbet and EscapeBET.The provider operates 75 video slots titles, 10 table games, and 10 video poker titles, which are integrated into over 60 operators and aggregators around the world, and available in 21 European and Asian languages. Alberto Alfieri: Leading the way for Gamingtec’s B2C growth August 25, 2020 SBC Magazine Issue 10: Kaizen Gaming rebrand and focus for William Hill CEO August 25, 2020 Share StumbleUpon Andrey Astapov, ETERNA LAW: Ukraine faces critical choices as gambling finish line nears August 21, 2020 Submit
Share Submit Share Gary ShawLondon AIM-listed B2B mobile gaming solutions provider Nektan Plc has detailed strong corporate growth for its Q2 2018 trading update (three-month period ending 31 December).Updating investors, Nektan would record net gaming revenues of £4.7 million up 42% on corresponding Q2 2017’s £3.3 million.During the trading period, Nektan governance informs that it has prioritized on developing player quality, whilst improving its ‘efficiency in spend’ resulting in a 37% saving in bonuses awarded in Q2 FY18.The company strengthened its commercial pipeline launching 17 new website properties during the trading period, at present Nektan services a total of 94 brands from 51 partners, with a further 18 new sites aiming to be launched during Q3 2018.Nektan continues to expand its client games portfolio adding new titles from Evolution Gaming and IWG, taking the Group’s total mobile games portfolio to over 450. The firm’s new platform deal with Tyche is expected to go live during January 2018 and to generate revenue during Q3 FY18.Gary Shaw, Interim Chief Executive Officer of Nektan Plc, said: “Our core European business continued to progress as expected in Q2 FY18 with a number of further launches planned in Q3 FY18. Our strategy to move into B2B is paying off with initial revenue generated by the Company. We look forward to announcing further positive updates across Nektan’s business over the next few months, including on our platform deal with Tyche and our US business.” Related Articles Delasport elevates online casino offering with Betsoft deal June 3, 2020 XLMedia completes takeover of 101GreatGoals.com July 17, 2020 StumbleUpon FSB selects Glenn Elliott as new COO August 12, 2020