By Dialogo October 06, 2010 The issue of the assault against the paramilitary Uribe is nothing new, it’s only a political campaign to benefit Uribe Velez, and as to the district attorney, it’s also false. How they are going to murder a sympathizing member of the guerrilla that during his youth was part of the JUCO. Be professional journalists and don’t repeat like parrots the stupidities told by politicians and Uribe’s useful idiots, such as the Minister of Defense. Colombia’s largest leftist guerrilla group is planning to assassinate former president Alvaro Uribe, who during his administration sponsored a military offensive that weakened the rebels, Defense Minister Rodrigo Rivera said on 4 October. The minister indicated that information on the plan for an attack on Uribe, who held office between 2002 and 2010, was found on one of the computers found in the camp of the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) military commander, alias El Mono Jojoy, who died in a conforntation with authorities on 23 September. “Based on the initial information gathered from these computers, we observe a clear intention to make use of criminal plans to assassinate former president Alvaro Uribe Vélez,” Rivera affirmed in a press conference. “Former president Uribe has already been informed of the existence of these plans by President Juan Manuel Santos; he is aware of these criminal plans against his safety, against his life,” he added. Rivera announced that the administration is determined to offer security and protective measures to Uribe so that he can continue to carry out his political activities in the country. Uribe, who announced last week that he will participate actively in Colombian politics leading up to the 2011 regional elections, headed a military offensive that weakened the FARC and forced them to withdraw to remote mountain and jungle areas. In the course of this offensive, the FARC lost several of their commanders, such as Raúl Reyes, Tomás Medina Caracas, and Martín Caballero, while thousands of their fighters deserted. However, the guerrilla group, which says that it is fighting to impose a socialist system in a country in which almost half of the 44 million inhabitants live in poverty, still maintains the ability to carry out high-impact attacks in remote jungle and mountain regions strategically located for drug trafficking, and even in urban centers.
Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos said that another FARC front has been practically dismantled following the June 6 deaths of eight guerrillas in the northwestern part of that country, following an Air Force bombardment. “It’s a very significant blow (…) It was a front that had done a great deal of damage to the country, a front that for many years had exerted pressure on the entire northern region, and one pocket was left,” Santos said to reporters at the conclusion of the Pacific Alliance summit held at the Cerro Paranal observatory in northern Chile. “The structure was practically dismantled. It’s another structure that we’ve ‘chaffed’ (destroyed) in our war against FARC terrorism,” he added. The eight FARC guerrillas died following an Air Force bombardment of a camp located thanks to intelligence information from the Army and Navy, a Military spokesperson announced. The commander of the Navy, Admiral Roberto García, told reporters that it was “a joint-forces operation carried out early in the morning of June 6, in a rural area of the municipality of Nechí, in the department of Antioquia (in northwestern Colombia).” In the attack, “eight guerrillas of the FARC’s Front 37 were killed, and another three were captured, two of them seriously wounded,” he specified. The Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC), founded over 45 years ago, is Colombia’s chief guerrilla group, currently with around 9,200 fighters, according to Defense Ministry figures. By Dialogo June 08, 2012
9SHARESShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr NAFCU President and CEO Dan Berger, in a letter to Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin, hit back Tuesday against misinformation being spread by the Independent Community Bankers of America about the credit union tax exemption in a paper on regulatory relief.“It was surprising that the ICBA used its white paper as an opportunity to attack credit unions,” Berger wrote. “As community-based financial institutions, credit unions and community banks are both familiar with the need to mitigate the currently overwhelming weight of regulatory burden, which should be the primary focus of any sincere plan to promote economic prosperity.”“Simply put, the tax exemption benefits the nation and is an issue of survival for credit unions,” Berger added. “Despite what some may claim, there remain significant regulatory and statutory differences between not-for-profit member-owned credit unions and other types of financial institutions – including limits on who they can serve and their ability to raise capital. [However,] during the financial crisis, credit unions continued to lend to consumers and small businesses that were left behind by the banks. Credit unions are proud of their continued service to Main Street America.”Berger also noted that more than one-third of banks are Subchapter S corporations that pay no corporate income tax. He also touted the independent study NAFCU commissioned earlier this year that showed the benefit to U.S. consumers from the tax exemption is $16 billion per year. This adds up to $159 in growth over a 10-year period. Eliminating the exemption would cost the federal government $38 billion in lost income tax revenue and shrink the gross domestic product by $142 billion, eliminating nearly 900,000 jobs in 10 years. continue reading »
Dominique Jardy, curator of the Linge Museum, near where the discovery was made, thinks 1910 is more likely, Le Parisien reports (in French). – Advertisement – – Advertisement –
Mar 12, 2009 (CIDRAP News) – In passing a huge spending bill this week to cover the next 6 months, Congress approved pandemic preparedness funds that had been proposed by former President Bush and increased appropriations for food safety, according to a health advocacy group.The $410 billion bill was passed by the Senate Feb 10, following earlier House approval, and signed by President Barack Obama yesterday. It funds numerous government agencies for the rest of fiscal year 2009, which ends Sep 30.The measure includes more than $700 million in pandemic spending that Bush had sought for the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), but none of that is for state and local public health agencies, according to Richard Hamburg, government affairs director for the nonprofit group Trust for America’s Health.The bill also includes $648.7 million for food safety efforts at the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), which represents a $141 million increase from the 2008 level, Hamburg reported. In addition, Congress approved $971.5 million for the US Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS), an increase of $41 million over the 2008 amount, he said.The HHS pandemic funding includes $425 million for vaccine production capacity, $42 million for production of egg-based vaccines, and $40 million for medical countermeasures for HHS staff members and contractors, according to Hamburg.Also included is $156 million for ongoing pandemic-related activities at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), which is $1.4 million more than the agency received in 2008, he said. In addition, the office of the HHS secretary is to receive $78 million for pandemic activities, up from $75 million in 2008, he said.Hamburg said he hadn’t seen the breakdown of amounts for other agencies, but he expects that the FDA and the National Institutes of Health will get about the same amounts of pandemic-related funding as in 2008—$38 million and $34 million, respectively.Also included in the legislation is $3 million for research by the National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) on flu transmission and respiratory protection from flu viruses, Hamburg reported. The bill calls for NIOSH to evaluate filtering facepiece respirators and other types of personal protective equipment (PPE) for healthcare workers and to work on designing the next generation of PPE, he said.He noted that the allocation follows an Institute of Medicine report in 2008 that cited a critical need for more information on airborne transmission of flu. He didn’t think the money was part of the Bush administration’s 2009 budget proposal.On the food safety front, the $141 million increase for the FDA goes mainly to the agency’s Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition (CFSAN), according to Hamburg. Overall, the FDA is getting a $325 million budget increase from 2008, which raises its total funding for 2009 to nearly $2 billion, he said.A CFSAN spokesman said today he had no information yet on how the increased funding for food safety will be spent.As for the proposed 2010 budget, the Obama administration has released only a general outline so far; said Hamburg: “We expect to see more detailed information on pandemic [funding] in early April.”Pandemic preparedness advocates had hoped Congress would include pandemic funds for state and local health departments in the economic stimulus bill passed in February. The House approved $900 million for that purpose, but it was stripped from the final bill.See also:Feb 13 CIDRAP News story “Stimulus bill headed for passage minus pandemic funds”
Since 2015 (the first data refer to 2014), the Central Bureau of Statistics has been publishing a statistical survey (sample-based estimate) Tourist activity of the population of the Republic of Croatia, and it presents data at the level of the entire year. From the results of such research, it is possible to see the tourist preferences of the Croatian population because the data show the motives of travel (for example, visiting relatives and friends, vacation), but also the reasons for not going on private multi-day trips. Such data, among other things, can serve as a basis for developing a business strategy for entrepreneurs engaged in tourism. Also, in 2018, there were 1,69 million people on at least one private multi-day trip (2017 million in 1,56), or 46,5% of the Croatian population (2017% in 43,1) aged 15 or more years. The most common motives for going on a private multi-day trip were a vacation at sea (31,2%), a visit to relatives and friends (30,6%) and sightseeing, excursions, culture and entertainment (13,7%). Namely, although domestic tourists in commercial accommodation facilities make up only about 7% of the total overnight stays throughout the year, in some months this number is significantly higher. Thus, domestic tourists in commercial accommodation facilities in January realize about 40% of total overnight stays, and in February, November and December about a third of total overnight stays. Precisely in the mentioned months, there is a weak utilization of tourist capacities, and increasing the volume of tourist traffic in those months would reduce the pronounced seasonality of Croatian tourism. Increasing the volume of tourist traffic in the weakest months can be achieved by attracting those residents of Croatia who go on trips only abroad. Namely, according to the CBS survey in 2018, published today, about 17% of the total population of Croatia (age groups 15 and older) who were on private multi-day trips, traveled only abroad (294 people) . This means that there is a significant segment of the Croatian population that spends its financial resources only abroad. The largest number of trips abroad was to Bosnia and Herzegovina (358%), Germany (21,7%) and Slovenia (13,3%). Source: Croatian Chamber of Commerce